Edmonton Gurdwara Attack Shakes Sikh Community; Hate Crime Suspected

by Antariksh Singh

AI Generated Summary

  • The incident also drew condemnation from Prime Minister Mark Carney, who described the violence at the Nanaksar Gurdwara as “appalling” and expressed concern for the two people injured as well as members of the community affected by the attack.
  • The developments have added to concerns over the security of Sikh places of worship in the province, while investigators in Edmonton continue to examine whether Friday’s attack was specifically motivated by hatred toward the Sikh community.
  • The EPS Investigative Response Team has since taken charge of the investigation and is working alongside the Hate Crimes Unit to determine whether the Sikh place of worship and those inside it were deliberately targeted because of their faith.

Two men were injured after a man allegedly attacked worshippers with a screwdriver inside the Nanaksar Sikh Gurdwara in Edmonton early Friday, prompting police to investigate whether the violence was motivated by hate.

The Edmonton Police Service (EPS) arrested a 27-year-old suspect at the gurdwara shortly after the attack. Police said charges are pending as investigators work to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident.

The first indication of trouble came at about 4.49 am, when police received reports of a man walking through traffic along Highway 15 near Horsehill Road. Minutes later, emergency calls began coming in from the Nanaksar Sikh Gurdwara, located near 14 Street and Horsehill Road.

According to police, the man entered the gurdwara and attempted to make his way into the prayer area. Staff members confronted him, leading to an altercation during which two male patrons were allegedly stabbed with a screwdriver.

People present at the gurdwara quickly intervened and managed to restrain the attacker until police officers reached the scene at approximately 5.10 am and took him into custody.

A 75-year-old man and a 51-year-old man were treated by Emergency Medical Services before being taken to hospital. Police said their injuries were not considered life-threatening.

The EPS Investigative Response Team has since taken charge of the investigation and is working alongside the Hate Crimes Unit to determine whether the Sikh place of worship and those inside it were deliberately targeted because of their faith.

Police Chief Warren Drieche said the attack could have resulted in considerably more serious consequences and acknowledged the impact the violence has had on Edmonton’s Sikh community.

“We are thankful that this morning’s event did not result in more significant injuries or deaths but also recognise that the trauma experienced by the victims and their community cannot be understated,” Drieche said.

“This level of violence has no place in our city, and we want to ensure the Sikh community and all Edmontonians that we are taking this incident and their safety, seriously.”

Authorities said the accused had been released from prison only a day before the incident and has a history of violence stretching back more than a decade. His identity has not yet been made public as formal charges remain pending.

The incident also drew condemnation from Prime Minister Mark Carney, who described the violence at the Nanaksar Gurdwara as “appalling” and expressed concern for the two people injured as well as members of the community affected by the attack.

“No one should ever feel unsafe in their place of worship,” Carney said, while thanking Edmonton police for their swift response.

Several sikh oraganizations condemned the attack and said they were awaiting further information regarding the suspect’s motive and the circumstances that led to the violence.

The organisations said the Edmonton incident was particularly concerning against the backdrop of recent security threats involving Sikh places of worship elsewhere in Alberta.

Calgary police are separately investigating threatening telephone calls received by two Sikh gurdwaras in northeast Calgary. The reported threats include those directed at the Dashmesh Culture Centre.

The developments have added to concerns over the security of Sikh places of worship in the province, while investigators in Edmonton continue to examine whether Friday’s attack was specifically motivated by hatred toward the Sikh community.

Police have not yet announced formal charges against the 27-year-old suspect, and the investigation remains ongoing.

Antariksh Singh

You may also like